Tuesday 13 May 2014

Pleasant surprise!


On Sunday, I learnt a wonderful lesson on “Let go and let God.”

My husband and I were in church with our boys. After the service, I was famished! Being a breastfeeding mom of an always-hungry baby, I was desperate for food or a drink at least. 

It seemed like a God-sent opportunity when I realised there was free food for all church members provided by a couple who had dedicated their baby that day.

But my husband said we should go home. I was like “what?!” I tried to reason with him, but he insisted.
Now before, I would have demanded to stay behind. Upset, he would leave me and go home alone, while I joined him later. But I decided to ‘submit’. I wasn’t angry, I just trusted God to help me cope with the hunger until we got home. Thankfully I had already prepared food in advance.

I was in for a pleasant surprise. My husband took me to my favourite restaurant. I couldn’t believe it!
 
As I thought about the events of Sunday, it reminded me of how God longs to bless us, if only we will submit to Him and obey Him. Truth be told, don’t we all feel frustrated when God says no and we want HIM to say yes?

It helps to remember that God ALWAYS has our best interests at heart. He longs to bless us as a mother. In Matthew 23:37 Jesus said this, "Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, and you were not willing.

In Deuteronomy 28:1, Moses tells the Israelites, “If you fully obey the LORD your God and carefully follow all his commands I give you today, the LORD your God will set you high above all the nations on earth.” If you read that entire chapter they are blessings that follow obedience and curses for disobedience.

God knows the future. His ways are always best. His laws are there to protect us. Is there an area where you could obey God in? I encourage you to obey HIM, even though it might be uncomfortable. There might be a pleasant surprise waiting for you.

------------------
Image1 courtesy:http://us.cdn3.123rf.com/168nwm/jeffbanke/jeffbanke1012/jeffbanke101200193/8508029-young-african-american-woman-smiling-because-of-a-pleasant-surprise-isolated-on-white-background.jpg
Image2 courtesy:http://www.stevecurtin.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/pleasant-surprises-copy.jpg

2 comments:

  1. Great Lesson Indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by Anon, and for your kind comment.

    ReplyDelete