Thursday 19 September 2013

Why does God allow us go through the ‘hard’ way?

As a mother, I hate to see my child cry. I do everything to make him comfortable, but sometimes I allow him cry for his good. Just the other day, he wanted to play with a knife. He had seen me using it to cut some vegetables, and started asking for it. I told him gently it was not a toy and gave him other safe toys instead, but he refused. He cried and cried and begged and begged, wailing pathetically. Of course I felt sorry for him crying, it broke my heart to hear him cry so much, but I knew I would be a terribly bad mother if I gave him the knife.  From my son’s perspective, I can imagine him wondering why his loving mother would prevent him from having this new and different toy. 


In the same way, I think when God denies us our requests, it isn’t because HE wants to withhold good things from us. Like a good mother, He knows that what we may see as good with our limited knowledge, may be harmful to us in the long run. And no matter how much we pray and fast, He won’t give it to us, because He wants the best for us. 

The Israelites missed this important principle when God took them through the
wilderness from Egypt. The Bible says in Exodus13:17: “When Pharaoh let the people go, God did not lead them on the road through the Philistine country, though that was shorter. For God said, "If they face war, they might change their minds and return to Egypt."  You see God led them through the longer route, not because He liked to see them suffer, but because  He cared about their safety and wellbeing. He allowed them to take the 'hard' way for their own good.

In my experience I have found, with hindsight, that when I didn’t get what I was praying about and at the time I wanted, it was often for my good. Some years ago, I was praying for a job. I got lots of interviews, but no job offer. I prayed, asked people to pray for me, fasted, etc, but nothing happened. There was a particular job I wanted and believed God for, but I didn’t get it. I was really confused, why would God do this to me? Didn’t He see I needed a job? I later got another job, a much better one. It turned out that I was pregnant at the time, though I had not realised it. If I had gotten the previous job I really wanted, it would have been bad for my condition.

And so I encourage you, do not get depressed when it seems God has not answered your prayers. He alone knows what is best for you. Just trust Him that at the right time and in accordance with His will, you will get your heart’s desires. It may be a job, a spouse, children, a promotion, a financial or health breakthrough, …, it could be anything. Remember God loves YOU and will not withhold any good thing from you. In the meantime, rest in His love and trust Him.



---------
Image1 courtesy:http://gator1846.hostgator.com/~frmike/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/unanswered.jpg
Image2 courtesy:http://kristadunham.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/trust11.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment